SANTA ANA, Calif. – A homeless man living on the Santa Ana River Trail (SART) in Orange was charged yesterday with possessing two firearms and two boxes of ammunition.
- (2) Possession of a firearm by a felon
- Possession of ammunition by a felon
- Possession of controlled substance paraphernalia
- Prior strike convictions for residential burglary and assault with a deadly weapon in Texas in 2011
- Not remaining free for a period of five years or more
Jan. 18, 2018,
Department C-55, Central Justice Center, Santa Ana
Circumstances of the Case
- At the time of the crimes, Lundell was on probation and living in a tent on the SART near the city of Orange.
- On Jan. 5, 2018, deputies from the Orange County Sheriff’s Department (OCSD) Homeless Outreach Team who actively patrol the SART area due to the increased dangerousness in the encampments and to provide outreach services to the persons living on the SART contacted the defendant in his tent.
- Lundell is accused of possessing a backpack containing a .22 caliber magazine with seven rounds of ammunition and two boxes of ammunition: a box of 20 gauge shotgun ammunition and a box of .22 caliber ammunition.
- The defendant is further accused of possessing a black trash bag containing a .20 gauge shotgun and a .22 caliber rifle inside the tent.
- OCSD arrested Lundell at the scene.
Prosecutor: Deputy District Attorney Denise Hernandez, Special Prosecutions Unit
Orange County District Attorney / Case # 18CF0134 / January 10, 2018